Battlefield Tours Frequently Asked Questions
Q How do I make a booking?
A See the following choices:
1) You can telephone the office, to check availability and make a either a verbal booking, which has to be confirmed in writing with £60.00 deposit per person and Insurance (unless you have your own) within 7 days, or make a confirmed booking with your credit card. If you are booking less than 10 weeks before departure, the full sum, and insurance if applicable, is payable.
NB Flying tours require a £250.00 deposit per person.
2) Fill in the Advance Registration form, enclosing £10.00, and send this in with a SAE for receipt. This is fully returnable if you cancel prior to the date that the remainder of the deposit is due.
3) You can, having paid the initial deposit and Insurance premium, make simple monthly payments to suit yourself, i.e. no fixed amount, provided the monies are all paid 10 weeks before the departure date.
4) Send full Booking Form with deposit or full monies and Insurance.
5) Final payment is due 10 weeks before departure.
6) Final monies for flying tours 15 weeks before departure.
Cheques to be made payable to: 'War Research Society', enclosing a stamped addressed envelope for receipt.
Credit cards accepted (charge applies), see booking form.
Q When I pay for my tour what happens to my money?
Q If I am travelling alone will I have to share a room with anyone, or can I have my own room?
A The choice is entirely yours. If you wish to share with a person of the same sex then that will be organised if at all possible. All the Hotels used by the War Research Society charge a single supplement. We undertake to subsidise this, and the maximum you will have to pay is:
1st World War Coach Tours – £25.00 per night
2nd World War Coach Tours – £35.00 per night.
Q How do I join the tour?
A 1) By referring to the Departure pages in our brochure, choose one of our many pick up points, which start at Manchester Airport. Charges apply, see booking form.
2) Take advantage of our National Express voucher scheme to enable you to join our tours from anywhere in Gt. Britain, FREE of charge.
3) Make your own way, or by National Express to Birmingham and check into a hotel for the night. You will be informed of the nearest pick up point to that hotel for the next morning. The coach will drop you back to your pick up point on your return.
4) If you join our coach at Dover and you wish to park your car, you can arrange this through Relyon Car Parking; telephone them on 01304 201 227 and state that you are travelling with The War Research Society.
Q Will I need a Passport or a Visa?
A Yes, on tours that leave Gt. Britain. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have your passport with you at time of departure. Please check with the office to see if a Visa is required for the country you are visiting. Contact the office for advice.
Q Are the coaches non smoking?
Q Will we be accompanied at all times during the tours or will we have to look after ourselves?
Q When do I get my itinerary?
Q What happens if I cancel my tour?
A Cancellation must be made in writing, to the main office, and is only effective from the date of receipt. If you cancel you will lose your deposit and insurance premium. The following scale of charges will also apply:
42 – 21 days prior to departure – 70%
20 – 14 days prior to departure – 85%
13 – 7 days prior to departure – 95%
Less than 7 days – No refund.
In addition, where payments have been made by us to suppliers, these costs will be non refundable by us.
NB Cancellation charges may be covered under your insurance policy.
Q Do I really need travel Insurance or does the Form EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) cover me?
A Yes, you do need travel insurance and you will not be permitted to travel on the tour without it. It is advisable to also take your EHIC with you if you are travelling in the EC; this will assist with some costs you may incur under your insurance policy.
Q If I am taken ill and cancel the tour do I get my money back?
A If you have taken out fully comprehensive insurance then you will be refunded all your monies (provided the claim comes within the criteria of the policy) minus the insurance premium and standard excess. If you provide your own insurance a copy must be sent with the booking form.
Q How much does the Travel Insurance cost and what does it cover?
A Insurance costs are as follows:
2 – 3 Days £36.00 Coach tours only
4 – 5 Days £40.00 Coach tours only
6 – 8 Days £46.00 Coach tours only
9 – 10 Days £48.00 Coach tours only
11 – 15 Days £61.00 Coach tours only
NB You must arrange your own travel insurance for flying tours and send copy into the office on booking. (Or we can organize a quote for this).
A brief synopsis of the cover is as follows, but is fully explained in the policy:
Cancellation/Curtailment: up to £3,000
Personal Accident: up to £15,000
Medical and other expenses: up to £2,000,000
Baggage etc: up to £1,750
Loss of passport: up to £250
Travel Abandonment (after 12 hrs): up to £3,000
Missed departure: up to £300
Legal expenses: up to £10,000
Personal liability: up to £2,000,000
NB Excesses apply
This insurance has been arranged for The War Research Society Battlefield Tours by Fogg Travel Insurance Services Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (307304).
Fogg Travel Insurance Services, Crow Hill Drive Mansfield, Notts. NG 19 7AE. 01623631331
Q What happens if we cancel your booking?
A Your booking will not normally be cancelled by us with less than one months notice, unless due to a 'Force Majeure', and you will be informed in writing as soon as possible. An alternative tour will be offered, but if this is unacceptable then a full refund will be made.
Q How do I trace a War Grave, and arrange a Special visit?
A You either write to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, 2 Marlow Road, Maidenhead, SL6 7DX, or telephone them on 01628 507 200; or contact us for help. Their website is at: cwgc.org
When you receive the information let us know the details and we will advise you as to the most appropriate trip for your visit. When this is agreed, you fill in the details on the booking form, and we guarantee that you will be taken to visit the grave/memorial of your choice.
Q I would like a poppy wreath to place on the grave/memorial how do I obtain one?
A You can order an Earl Haig Fund Poppy wreath from us by filling in the details on the booking form. We will see that it is taken on the tour with you.